Dr. Stephanie Birmanns
In addition to general antitrust law, Dr. Stephanie Birmanns focuses on transaction-related advice on merger control issues as well as foreign trade investment audits.
For more than 20 years, Dr. Stephanie Birmanns has provided comprehensive advice to domestic and foreign companies on European and German antitrust law, in particular on issues relating to merger control, antitrust and abuse proceedings, compliance and distribution antitrust law.
Her main focus is on M&A transactions. In often complex mergers, she handles merger control proceedings before the German Federal Cartel Office and the European Commission. Transaction-related advice on investment control under German foreign trade law is also a regular part of her practice. She has extensive experience representing companies in investment review proceedings before the German Federal Ministry of Economics and Climate Protection.
Dr. Stephanie Birmanns' advisory work also includes competition and foreign trade law risk analyses in the run-up to transactions, the corresponding support of the M&A process and the coordination of proceedings before foreign competition and investment control authorities.
Dr. Stephanie Birmanns also has extensive experience in representing clients in antitrust proceedings at the German and EU level and regularly advises on issues of antitrust compliance, abuse control and distribution antitrust law.
She has been an attorney since 2001. Prior to joining SZA Schilling, Zutt & Anschütz, she was Counsel at leading US law firms in Brussels.
Stephanie ist in jeder Hinsicht außergewöhnlich. Sie ist sehr fachkundig, kundenfreundlich und praktisch.Client, Legal 500
- Silex Microsystems AB on German investment control regarding the acquisition of semiconductor wafer fabrication from Elmos Semiconductor SE.
- Merger control advice to a leading German media company on the sale of various shareholdings
- Avantor, Inc. on merger control and German investment control in the acquisition of the German Ritter GmbH
- Comprehensive antitrust advice to a leading trading company
- Representation of a Chinese investor in the acquisition of a company in the aviation industry for German investment control purposes
- Zoox in the context of the merger with Amazon regarding German investment control
- Frankfurt commentary on antitrust law, co-author
- Munich Commentary on Competition Law, co-author
- The Foreign Investment Review, Chapter on Germany, with Oliver Schröder
- Cologne Compendium on Air Law, co-author
Education & Engagement
- Member of the Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht and the American Bar Association
- Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz
- University of Cologne
- Languages: German, English, French
Stephanie Birmanns glänzte mit ihrer Erfahrung bei internationalen und insbesondere US-BezügenJUVE Handbuch Wirtschaftskanzleien 2021/2022
Stephanie Birmanns is an authority on merger control and is highly praised for her work on complex proceedings before the German and European competition agencies.Who’s Who Legal: Competition 2019