Dr. Philipp Rüppell
Dr. Philipp Rüppell is a partner in our Dispute Resolution practice and has many years of experience in handling complex German and international litigation, arbitration and ADR proceedings.
Dr. Rüppell represents domestic and foreign companies as well as wealthy private individuals in court, arbitration and out-of-court disputes. He advises his clients, inter alia, on contract, corporate and insolvency law.
His practice focuses on commercial disputes/damage claims/supply chain disputes, insolvency and related disputes, directors' and officers' liability and corporate litigation.
His particular expertise lies in strategic advice and project management of mass actions, class actions and class actions at home and abroad.
I am passionate about litigating but only when it is necessary. Because successfully representing the interests of the parties is what makes being a litigation lawyer so appealing to me. Legal disputes are not l'art pour l'art, but must always serve the client's goals. Just like my partners, I conduct my own proceedings. Together with our team of outstanding experts in litigation and commercial law, I am committed to our clients - regardless of the type of dispute resolution procedure.Dr. Philipp Rüppell
- Advising and representing creditors and insolvency administrators in various major insolvency proceedings such as Senvion, Q-Cells, Solar Millennium, Prokon Nord, Ision, Desertec
- Representation of creditors in numerous insolvency proceedings (breweries, plant engineering, automotive OEMs and suppliers, solar companies, major banks, media companies, airlines)
- Litigation in various post-M&A disputes on both the buyer and seller side (earn out, valuation issues, breach of warranty)
- Advice, project management and litigation representation in the "Clerical Medical" investment liability complex
- Representation of aggrieved food producers in the context of the so-called "ETO scandal"
- Shareholder disputes, succession and inheritance disputes in German noble houses and family businesses
- Processes for various banks and savings banks in Germany
- Ongoing representation and advice to the companies of a leading global automotive group in matters of product liability, insolvency and contract law (litigation, expert opinions, organisational and litigation tactical advice)
- Advice, project management and legal representation of a car manufacturer in the "diesel emissions complex", proceedings in Germany; class actions in the Netherlands; disputes with authorised dealers
- Advice, project management and litigation representation of a manufacturer of motorhomes (and its dealers) in the "diesel-emissions complex
- Representation of a lender in a lawsuit against an investor in a company in need of restructuring
- Advising and representing a clinic operation in connection with medical cooperations, corporate and contractual law issues and in civil proceedings
- Permanent advice to medium-sized, owner-managed companies on corporate, contractual and insolvency law issues
- Die Berücksichtigungsfähigkeit ausländischer Anlagegenehmigungen - Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, Studien zum ausländischen und internationalen Privatrecht 280, Mohr Siebeck 2012
- Arbitration clauses in partnership agreements: Sonderfall Publikums-KG, BB 2014, p. 1091 et seq.
- Contestability of instalment payments de lege lata and de lege ferenda - Are instalment payments always subject to avoidance with intent pursuant to section 133 InsO? NZI 2015, p. 832 et seq.
- Dismissal and termination of a (shareholder) managing director for cause, BB 2016, p. 645 et seq.
- Exclusion of a GmbH shareholder for good cause, BB 2016, p. 1026 et seq.
- Avoidance of cover in the case of an indirect gift: Total settlement does not protect against avoidance of the gift, DB 2016, p. 1064
- Managing director liability for payment transactions on debit company accounts after insolvency maturity: evidentiary principles and liability requirements, NZI 2016, p. 723 et seq.
- Service from lawyer to lawyer in party business - a new liability trap? , AnwBl 2016, p. 893 ff.
- Invalidity of supervisory board resolutions: Executive Board Appointment and Conclusion of Advisory Agreements, DB 2017, p. 896 f.
- Intentional avoidance in the case of instalment payment settlement, acknowledgement judgment and compulsory enforcement, DB 2017, 2858 et seq.
- Die Beschränkung der Insolvenzanfechtung nach dem COVInsAG, DB 2020, p. 1059 f.
- Anfechtung nach § 134 InsO im Drei-Personen-Verhältnis bei Insolvenz des leistenden "Dritten", DB 2020, p. 1832 et seq.
- Numerous discussions of decisions and notes on judgments on corporate law and insolvency law by higher courts and supreme courts
Education & Engagement
- Lecturer at the Fresenius University of Applied Sciences in Munich
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Member of the German Institution of Arbitration
- Member of Mensa Deutschland e.V.
- Member of the Anglo-German-Club Hamburg e.V
- University of Passau
- King’s College London
- Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg
- Bucerius Law School Hamburg (Dr. iur.)
- Languages: German, English